Saturday, April 2, 2011

Touchy Subjects...ish.

 I've been meaning to make this post for a couple days now, but I've had a very long week, so I've been putting it off but today is my friday, and I decided it was about damn time I update this thing!

Just to begin, I just bought new nail polish last night, and I looooove it. It's Coconut Crush by Revlon, and it's this very pretty pearl colour and it's SCENTED!! I'm still a little girl at heart, and I love that it has a faint coco-nutty scent. To be fair, I purchased it because I love the colour, but I do think the scented nail polishes are a neat gimmick:)

Anyway!

For some reason, this topic has come up in my life a few times in the last couple days, so I figured I'd write about it.

*Deep breath* Circumcision.
I have absolutely zero qualms with any parents who choose to have their son circumcised. If you believe that is the right choice for your family, then who the hell am I to say a word about your choice?
I just wanted to get that out of the way first.

If I were to ever have another child, and it happened, to be a boy, I would not have him circumcised.
These are my reasons:
- It's an unnecessary surgery, that is mostly cosmetic, save for religious reasons, which I absolutely do not have.
- With the very little I've researched, I've seen a doctor demonstrate how a circumcision is done, with the tools they use, and a doll. They strap the baby down on a little table thing, where I assume they do so in case the baby moved and made the doctor injure him, and use this strange clamp that looked like a mini stainless steel sewing machine to pinch the baby's foreskin so tight that the doctor could cut it off without having to anesthetize, instead they use a numbing agent and also to prevent a lot of bleeding.
I just can't imagine wanting to put someone I love through that.
Here's the "torture table" (what I call the restraint table when I'm discussing this with my boyfriend and I'm being dramatic and teasing him)

And this is the clamp I mentioned:

-It hurts the baby! I've heard the argument a number of times that he won't remember the pain, but it still hurts them in that moment, and in the healing afterwards.
- The foreskin is there for a reason! It is a protective piece of flesh.
- It was free however many years ago in Canada, but it now costs somewhere between $150 and $200.
- I've learned that an uncircumcised baby is not hard to clean, and that the foreskin should not be retracted until it is easily able to do so, otherwise you can injure him. So the "it's cleaner to have a cut penis" is complete bullshit. If parents are properly educated, there should be no issue with cleanliness.
- Speaking of education, if we educate out children to understand that we are all different and unique, then the argument about wanting your son's dick to look like his father's/brother's falls completely.

Anyway, this is completely just my opinion, and I'd love to hear yours as well!
Please be respectful, as I tried to be.

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment