Sunday, April 10, 2011

Learning to Read.

This year, my daughter is in grade one, and is learning how to read. As a book enthusiast, I am so so so so sooooooooooooooo excited!
Just last summer, I would try and get her to sound out words, because I know that she has known her letter sounds for a long time. She would get anxious, and forget a lot of what she had previously learned and would give me the "but Mom!! I don't know how to read yet!" and would get frustrated, and give up.

The past seven months or so, she has completely turned it around. I mean, this kid is a genius in my eyes. She still has smaller struggles, but she's reading everything! I can`t spell things out in front of her anymore, because even if she doesn't get the whole word, she can piece it together on her own. She is starting to write her own stories, and though there are lots of misspelled words, most are spelled semi-phonetically.

I have been beaming about her journey and her progress for months, and I just cannot get over how fast she absorbs these things that just a short time ago seemed impossible to her.

Being a parent truly is the best job in the world. I know that sounds sappy and cliche, but it's true. It's hard as hell sometimes, but it's just so rewarding. I'd never give it up.

'Til next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment